Burg Freundsberg is a castle in Tyrol, Austria, which was built in the year 1150 by the lords of Freundsberg. Burg Freundsberg is 675 meters above sea level. Originally the castle consisted of a single keep, which is still intact up to this date. The chapel next door was built later in the year 1177. In 1467 the castle was sold to the Archduke Sigismund of Austria, who rebuilt the castle and named it Sigismundruh for the duration of his reign.
From 1634 to 1637, Burg Freundsberg was adapted as "castle church" or Schlosskirche. (Not to be confused with the Church of All Saints, Wittenberg, which is also called Schlosskirche.) After passing to many other owners from 1812 onwards, Freundsberg Castle became the property of the municipality of Schwaz. They restored the castle from 1966 onwards.
Since 1948 the castle is a museum in which the history of the city of Schwaz and the silver mining industry in this region is documented. Documents and objects give an interesting look at the culture, the economy and the family chronicles of the lords of Freundsberg and Sigismondo.
The complex also includes a tavern where you can taste typical dishes, a perfect setting for medieval festivals and events