The Belgioioso castle is a monument located in Belgioioso, a few kilometers from Pavia.
Castello di Belgioioso History
It was probably founded by Galeazzo II in the second half of the fourteenth century in an extensive property of the Visconti family in the territory where the village of Belgioioso later arose. The name "Zoioso" was perhaps attributed to the castle for the amenity of the place and for the happiness that once had to bring a stay in that land.
Duke Gian Galeazzo II stayed there repeatedly; the dwelling in Belgioioso was so dear to him that, with his letter of 22 December 1393, he prohibited hunting deer and any other game to Bereguardo-Vigevano and Abbiategrasso. Furthermore, this provision is also mentioned in the famous testament of 1397 in which the Duke orders that a monastery, house and Carthusian church be built on the Pavia territory "in loco turris de Mangano" as a remedy and suffrage of his soul. The duke, however, excluded from the donations to the Carthusians the huge park at the Castle of Pavia and the possessions of Bereguardo and Belgioioso.
The manor was said to have been destroyed in 1412 and then rebuilt following the killing of Duke Gian Maria Visconti, son of Gian Galeazzo and Caterina Barnabò, but this information is not confirmed in documents.
The historical event linked to the manor recalls that it was in 1431 that Belgioioso was feuded by Duke Filippo Maria Visconti to the Barbianos, an ancient noble family of which Alberico the Great was certainly the most famous exponent.
In the eighteenth century the Castle of Belgioioso was in the hands of Don Antonio, the first prince of Belgioioso, and it is he who is responsible for the many improvements to the complex. At that time the castle always had the reputation of welcoming and pleasant residence, where the Lombard nobility often met to celebrate lavish receptions.
From a splendid country residence of the Prince of Belgioioso, today the castle is home to exhibitions, cultural events, exhibitions and fairs of a national level, a real cultural center rich in historical and artistic value.