The charm of a 160-year-old restaurant combined with today's standards of Austrian hospitality is what makes Zwettler's so special. All regional ingredients that in the preparation of the dishes are carefully chosen by the staff to offer the most authentic Austrian cuisine.
Gasthaus Zwettler's History
In 516 the structure was built in Kaigasse 3, at that time it belonged to the Bürgerspital. During the 17th century the house was owned by a Mrs. Ritter, later Mrs. Stubhain. This is why today it is possible to find documents from the so-called "Ritterhaus" and the "Stubhainshaus".
In 1775, the watchmaker Johann Bentele first bought the ground and first floors and a few years later the entire house.
At the beginning of the 19th century, the house was owned by the master shoemaker Albert Bier, who later also built the exhibition portal.
In 1863, after a few further changes of ownership, we find the first news of the foundation of an inn by Johann and Maria Dimpfl. In the following years the house changed hands several times.
In 1926 Paul and Maria Kreiseder took over the restaurant, henceforth called "Kreiseders Bierstübl", and had some refurbishments made. The rooms slowly approached their current form and in the basement an ammonia compressor is being used for the first time as a beer cooler.
During the Second World War the house was severely damaged by bombing.
In 1959, the new owner of the house, Matthäus Noppinger, submitted an application for repair, as the building was in danger of collapsing.
In 1985 the house was completely renovated and took on its current appearance as an inn and residential building.
In 2011 the new "Zwettler's" opened its doors and pledging to honorably continue the long history of this inn.