Il rifugio Giuseppe Garibaldi è un rifugio situato nel comune di Edolo in val Camonica, a quota 2.550 m., posto ai piedi della parete nord dell'Adamello, presso il lago Venerocolo. Di proprietà del Cai Brescia, dispone di 98 posti letto, bar, ristorante.
Rifugio Giuseppe Garibaldi History
The Garibaldi alpine hut, located in the Venerocolo basin at an altitude of m. 2548, was built in 1894, with great effort of the Section. It was also made for the patriotic spirit of the Italian mountaineers to be no less than the Austrian mountaineers, who had built the Mandrone refuge.
The name Garibaldi was chosen to remember the clash that took place in Vezza d ’Oglio on 4 July 1866 between the Austrians and the Garibaldi soldiers, which unfortunately ended for the latter. During the First World War the building was transformed into the Carcano infirmary, which was part of a large military complex built in the area. The old refuge remained active until 1958, when it was submerged by the waters of the lake born from the construction of the new dam. In 1959 the current hut built by ENEL was inaugurated to replace the older refuge.
The Garibaldi hut, one of the main points of support for the ascent to the Adamello peak, is part of the landscape of a wide valley, wild though anthropized, closed by granite walls including the north of Mount Adamello, which she is definitely the queen.