Gabelhofen Castle combines the historic architecture of a majestic moated castle and the welcoming interior of a modern hotel, designed with great attention to detail where you can find the comfort and luxury of a truly special residence.
Schloss Gabelhofen History
The building was first mentioned in 1443 as Hof Riegersdorf, which belonged to the Lordship of Liechtenstein near Judenburg. In 1490 the court passed to the Pfanngauer and began the expansion into a Renaissance moated castle.
After the dynasty of the Pfanngau dynasty died out, the castle passed to the pranck lords Catzians and Galler. In 1494 the Liechtensteiner took over the castle and gave it as a fief to the lords of the jokes, who finished the work around 1536.
In 1596 the inhabitants of Gabelkhof bought the castle. This family dynasty arrived in Styria from Bavaria in the 14th century. In 1597, Christof von Gabelkhoven received the castle fief from Baron Carl von Teuffenbach. In 1897, Prince Johann von Liechtenstein took over it.
In October 1994, Gabelhofen Castle became a hotel and since then welcomes its guests with a splendid view of the venerable walls, the castle moat and the four towers. A wooden bridge leads to the “moat” in the palace garden and to the reception in the arcaded courtyard, where once the horses of the lords crowded around the drinking trough. Today there is a modern entrance. A huge glass roof covers the bright room with cozy sitting areas, a meeting point and a reception area at the same time.