The castle of Hollenegg is located in the municipality of Schwanberg in the district of Deutschlandsberg in western Styria.In the stables of the castle complex the Rossstall Schloss Hollenegg Cultural Center is housed, it is used for exhibitions, celebrations and also for civil weddings and wedding celebrations.
Schloss Hollenegg History
The first mention of Schloss Hollenegg dates back to 1163, in a document from Admont Abbey, although the castle is probably older. The long history of Schloss Hollenegg is visible in its architecture, as the subsequent owners added to the original medieval construction over the centuries.
Of particular beauty is the Renaissance courtyard, modeled on the Landhaus in Graz and designed by Francesco Marmoro in the 16th century. The Great Hall (Festsaal) in the north wing was designed by Philipp Carl Laubmann in 1750 with architectural frescoes imitating an open portico on all sides. The adjacent State Rooms are decorated with rococo stucco ceilings, French and Chinese tapestries and 16th and 17th century stoves. Some rooms on the second floor are still in Neo-Gothic style.
Since 1821, Schloss Hollenegg has been owned by the Liechtenstein family. Alice Stori Liechtenstein lives in Schloss Hollenegg with her family. Her passion for design and her desire to support the culture of design, as well as emerging and talented designers, led her to start the Schloß Hollenegg for Design project.
Much of the interior decoration of the Schloss Hollenegg dates back to the 18th century. The additions come from other castles such as Limberg and Riegersburg. The ballroom in the north wing was designed by Philipp Carl Laubmann in 1750 with architectural paintings that imitate an open portico on all sides. The ceiling painting by Felix Barazutti dates from 1885 and shows Greek gods as a program of images. The reception rooms are decorated with rococo stucco ceilings, French tapestries and 16th and 17th century stoves. The guest rooms on the second floor are in neo-Gothic style.