Schloss Moosham is a medieval castle located in Unterber, surrounded by the forests of the Lungau region. Inside a museum full of objects and antique tools, in addition to the original torture chamber, one of the most visited attractions in the castle.
Schloss Moosham History
Probably built on the remains of a Roman castum, Schloss Moosham is mentioned for the first time in 1191, in 1285 it falls to the archbishops of Salzburg. In the 14th century, it became the seat of the district magistrate. Archbishop Leonhard von Keutschach expanded the medieval castle until 1577.
1790 Moosham Pfleggericht was dissolved by Archbishop Colloredo, the last custodian was Johann Wenzel of Helmreich zu Brunfeld, then the castle fell more and more.
In 1886, Johann Nepomuk Graf Wilczek bought the plant. Previously, he had already invested considerable funds in Kreuzenstein Castle since 1874. Moosham Castle is still owned by the family today. It is open to the public and has a rich collection of art collected by the lords of the castle. It contains finds from the Romans in this area, as well as a series of well-preserved files and instruments for torturing the times of witch trials.