Schloss Rothenhof History
Emmersdorf is an old building set in a panoramic position overlooking the Danube. Already in the 12th century there was a larger settlement in the same place. The Schloss Rotenhof is located in today's Hofamt village on a slope inclined towards the center of the village. It was probably built under the Babenberg Duke Friedrich as a princely house. In 1377, the palace was named for the first time as a "farm on the mountain". The small rule in the late Middle Ages was rather insignificant and financially less profitable. In 1402 it was destroyed by Ulrich von Dachsberg on behalf of the duke Albrecht IV, belonging to the small nobility. Then the reconstruction took place. From 1475 the Rotenhof was often mortgaged. The present castle dates back to the 16th century, but was renovated in 1883 in the style of romantic romanticism, after being rebuilt by Count Hoyos before 1800. At that time it received the four-story north tower with its four adjoining corner towers. The smaller tower to the south is much older. The architect of the neo-Gothic reconstruction was Johann Hutterer, who had worked as a sculptor in the construction of the Vienna Burgtheater. The chapel dedicated to St. Nepomuk was already established in 1800. The highly structured building is essentially two to three stories high. The Rotenhof belongs since 1956 to the Rieder family. It is now run as an intimate castle hotel. The building, which was beautifully restored between 1986 and 1994, is surrounded by a park with old trees.