The Whist Society - Philharmonic Academy is a prestigious private club in Turin founded in March 1841 by Camillo Benso count of Cavour.
Società del Whist Accademia Filarmonica History
The Whist Society was founded in March 1841 on the personal initiative of Camillo Benso, count of Cavour. Cavour, inspired by the gentlemen's clubs of London and Paris, wanted to create a circle of liberal-moderate nobles different from the old clubs of that time in Italy.
Initially born as a meeting place to play Whist and chess, the club soon became the meeting place of the highest Turin aristocracy, where you could converse, play, read newspapers and books and finally have lunch. However, it distinguished itself from the other clubs previously founded in Turin for having accepted not only members of the aristocracy among its members, but also some professionals, magistrates, bankers and professors.
In 1947 the Whist Society merged with the Philharmonic Academy of Turin, founded in 1814, so that the partnership took on its current name.
The Palazzo dell'Accademia occupies the central lot of the eastern front of Piazza San Carlo and was built between 1644 and 1656. The current appearance of the building dates back to the mid-eighteenth century, when it was decorated under the direction of Benedetto Alfieri, one of the most illustrious architects of "classicism-baroque".