The Serbelloni family (indicated by a certain historiography with the Sorbelloni script) was an important Milanese patrician family, probably from Vimercate.
The first signs of the existence of the Serbelloni family are found in Vimercate, as early as the end of the fourteenth century is attested such a Peter called Ser Bello (hence the surname) and, according to the documentation of the Riva Finoli Fund to the State Archives Milan, the family was already ennobled if the uncle of the said Pietro, Vitale, could marry in 1371 the noblewoman Caterina de Capitani of Vimercate. Pietro married the noble Benvenuta Casati.
The Serbelloni were part of the Milanese noble underwood, working as notaries, maintaining tenuous relations with the court, assuming positions of responsibility in the laity that ran the parishes. Only after the marriage between a Serbelloni and Bernardino de Medici (stop-keeper, tax contractor and small-scale financier), in a totally unexpected way, the family entered the nobility. In fact, the eldest son of the couple was Gian Giacomo Medici called the Medeghino, made Marchese di Musso and then, in substitution, Melegnano, imperial general and benefited from the golden toson, while the second genito was Giovanni Angelo, then pontiff with the name of Pius IV. Their cousins were always very favored by this relationship.
Among the first important exponents is Gabrio Serbelloni, appointed captain by Giovanni Giacomo de Medici and later, thanks to his cousin, both for obvious personal merits, general for the empire and for the pontiff and his younger brother Giovanni Antonio Serbelloni created cardinal from Pius IV in 1560.
The last important exponent of the main branch of the family was Gian Galeazzo Serbelloni (Milan, 1744 - 1802), educated by Parini, who was part of the Executive Directory of the Cisalpine Republic.
Currently the main branch is represented by the Cetti Serbelloni.
The noble coat of arms recalls some of the numerous and glorious victories reported by the Grande Gabrio. It is composed of a central part called a shield, on the sides are the flags, in the lower part you can see three badges, the whole is enclosed by a crown of Duke and the banner of the Church of Rome.