Johannishütte is a small alpine hut located at 2,121 m above sea level amidst the magnificent panoramas of the Venediger Group in East Tyrol. Genuine food, comfortable accommodation and hot showers make the refuge a perfect base for excursions to the most impressive peaks of the Eastern Alps, such as the Großvenediger and the Großglockner.
Johannis Hütte is one of the oldest alpine huts in the Eastern Alps and owes its name in honor of Archduke Johann of Austria, son of Emperor Leopold II.
Built in 1858 by Bartholomä Steiner at the suggestion of the geoplastic Franz Keil, it was taken over by the German Alpine Club in 1870 and transferred to the Prague section in 1876, while the Oberland section of the DAV was inserted in 1993.
In 1929 the hut was enlarged with a wooden construction and a more substantial renovation took place in 1999 when it was further expanded.
The Johannishütte is a stop on the classic Hochtirol ski route and an ideal base for multi-day hikes through the most beautiful peaks of the Eastern Alps.
Cozy sleeping places to spend the night, two cozy dining rooms with a tiled stove invite you to recharge with genuine homemade food, before leaving for the well-known surrounding mountains, such as the Großvenediger, Rainerhorn, Kleinvenediger, Schwarze Wand and Kreuzspitze.