The New Circolo degli Scacchi, born in 1916 following the merger of the Nuovo Circolo with the Circolo degli Scacchi, is a private cultural association hosted in Palazzo Rondanini, one of the most prestigious Baroque palaces in Rome.
Nuovo Circolo degli Scacchi History
The New Circle of Chess is a club for gentlemen born in Rome in 1916 from the union of the Circolo degli Scacchi, founded in 1872 and having as president the Prince Don Giovanni Torlonia, and the New Circle founded in 1906 and chaired by the Prince and Duke of Paliano Don Fabrizio. The president of the new association became the Prince Fabrizio Colonna and the club's headquarters remained at Palazzo Sciarra, where the Nuovo Circolo had previously been hosted.
In 1923 the headquarters moved to Palazzo Fiano where it remained until 1990 when it moved to its current location, the prestigious Rondanini palace, a splendid example of 18th century Baroque architecture. The palace still preserves the characteristics of the noble palace desired by its client, the Marquis Giuseppe Rondanini, with its wide and luminous rooms with multi-colored marble, granite columns and rich decorations with bas-reliefs and stuccoes.
The club, which currently has 683 members, today brings together the leading representatives of the Roman aristocracy and the world of culture, science, economy and institutions, offering them a meeting place for social, cultural and sports.