The Rocca Meli Lupi di Soragna is a sumptuous residence dating back to the fourteenth century that is still the residence of the Meli Lupi princes. Inside, among the 98 rooms of the structure, there are pictorial cycles and fresco decorations by Cesare Baglione, Nicola Dell'Abate, Ferdinando and Francesco Galli Bibiena, while outside there is a magnificent English garden.
Rocca Meli Lupi di Soragna History
Built in 1385 by the will of the Marquis Bonifacio Lupi, feudal lords of Soragna by concession of Charles IV, the fortress looks like a quadrangular fortress with four crenellated towers at the corners and a fifth at the center of the main facade.
At that time full of contrasts between feudal lords, the fortress was equipped with every defense against possible external attacks, but over the centuries the struggles between families became gradually more rare, thus reducing the defensive purposes of the structure. The castle could thus undergo a transformation becoming a stately and comfortable palace: substantial structural reconstruction took place in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries until it acquired the appearance of a magnificent princely residence that still preserves today. Further changes were made in the 18th and 19th centuries by the Parmesan Angelo Rasori and the Piacenza Antonio Tomba.
La Rocca is a precious and perfectly preserved example of the early Baroque: in its rooms are in fact preserved the original furniture and furnishings made in large part in Venice. However, there are testimonies from other styles, both from the Parma and Lombardy schools.
Numerous are the works present within the walls of this splendid residence: among the environments visited the Sala Rossa, with its landscapes painted by Brescianino and the portraits of Giampaolo Meli Lupi and consort Ottavia Rossi; the Baglione Hall, with frescoes by Cesare Baglione in the 16th century inspired by the Pompeian decorations; the Sala del Biliardo Antico where you can admire the family portraits, including the famous Donna Cenerina; the gilded cabinet with wooden ceiling by Giuseppe Bosi; the Sala degli Stucchi, with frescoes by Francesco and Ferdinando Galli Bibiena, a perfect example of the late 17th century baroque; the Gallery of nuns dating back to the late seventeenth century with portraits of the Farnese family.
In 1709 Giampaolo Maria obtained, from the emperor Giuseppe I, that the marquisate was raised to Principality of the Holy Roman Empire with the right to coin money. The title of Prince has since been brought by the eldest son of the family.
Passing outside we find the splendid garden, whose earliest records date back to 1542. It was in the 18th century, however, that thanks to the work of artists such as Giovanbattista Bettoli, a large Italian garden was born, while in 1833 the green space was transformed into an English park by Luigi Voghera of Cremona. In addition to a charming artificial lake surrounded by ancient trees, we find here various statues depicting mythological deities and the "Cafè-haus", a small building in the neoclassical style.
The sumptuous residence of the princes is available for the organization of meetings and congresses of great prestige. There are several rooms of different sizes that can accommodate up to 300 people, while the private chapel is available for weddings to follow the banquet in an atmosphere full of charm and elegance.
The current Prince Diofebo, in addition to its activity in the agricultural sector, continues to improve its activity in tourism and in the music field.