Torre in Pietra castle, also called Falconieri castle, is a historic residence located in Torre in Pietra, in the Roman countryside. The Cellar of the Castle of Torre in Pietra, obtained by digging the tuff of the hill behind the Castle, was already used in the 1500s for the production and conservation of wine.
Castello di Torre In Pietra History
Initially the village was a "castrum" surrounded by towers and surrounding walls.
In 1254 the castle was owned by the Normanni family who brought together some neighboring funds such as Pruniano (Leprignana) and Castel Lombardo in a single property, then it probably passed by inheritance to the Anguillara who, in 1457, at the hands of Lorenzo and Felice Anguillara, for 3000 ducats they sold it to Massimo di Lello di Cecco dei Massimo, then it passed to the Peretti family.
In 1639 it was sold to the Falconer princes. Ferdinando Fuga built the church and the staircase on the main floor of the castle, then Pier Leone Ghezzi built the interiors.
The castle we admire today is basically what the Falconers left us.
The frescoes are perfectly preserved: we can relive the glories of the jubilee year 1725, when Ghezzi was called by Alessandro Falconieri to decorate the main floor with scenes celebrating the visit to the castle of Pope Benedict XIII.
Inside the octagonal church, the frescoes on the side altars are further evidence of his work.
Finally, in the second half of the nineteenth century, the Falconers died out and Torre in Pietra experienced an era of decline.
In 1926 it passed to Senator Luigi Albertini who reclaimed its lands according to modern techniques and made it among the most prestigious Italian livestock farms.
In 1941 it passed to his daughter Elena Albertini, married to Count Nicolò Carandini, whose heirs are still owners of the castle.
The winery of Filippo Antonelli and Lorenzo Majnoni, producers also in Umbria and Tuscany, operates in the cellars of the castle of Torre in Pietra. The cellar was created by digging under a tuff hill (formed from the ashes of the Bracciano volcano) and used for the production of wine as early as the 1600s