The Pieve di San Pietro di Felletto dates back to the 8th or 9th century together with the primitive church that still exists and is probably, as a building, the oldest in the diocese. on December 21, 1935. The church suffered serious damage from the earthquake of June 29, 1873 but was completely restored in recent years also in its rich pictorial decoration.
Pieve di San Pietro di Felletto History
The Pieve di S.Pietro, a splendid work from the Lombard era, was erected around the year 1000 but as early as the seventh and eighth centuries it represented the meeting place for the faithful who flocked for numerous religious functions. They mostly came for baptism. The Pieve was in fact the only church to have the privilege of owning the baptismal font and its territory included the towns of Formeniga, Refrontolo and Collalbrigo.
Externally it presents itself with a large porch, which probably also had the function of ensuring safe shelter for the common people during the course of social and political meetings. The Pieve is preceded by a staircase from the 19th century and in the following centuries the church developed and enriched with a growing number of frescoes, up to the 16th century, with works by various authors and with refined hints of Byzantine taste.
All the frescoes were 'rediscovered' at the end of the 19th century under the layer of white paint that covered them since they were considered 'old' and worn out over time. In recent times, important and delicate restoration works have been carried out also to consolidate the structures due to the effects of the earthquake of 1873.