The Rifugio Biella (Seekofelhütte in German) is an alpine hut located in the municipality of Cortina d'Ampezzo, located on the Alpe di Fosses at the foot of the Croda del Becco, in the Croda Rossa d'Ampezzo group.
Rifugio Biella History
The alpine hut was built by the Austro-German Alpine Club of the Eger section (Bohemian city today called Cheb) and inaugurated on 16 July 1907 with the name of Egererhütte.
The first management of the alpine hut was entrusted to Mrs. Babette Knollseisen of Tires. Initially the refubuilding ge was developed on two floors with 27 beds (15 in triple bedrooms and a 12-bed dormitory). In 1909 the management was entrusted to Hermine Egger of Windisch-Matrei (today called Matrei in Osttirol), who maintained it until 1912, the year in which it passed to Mrs. Anna Oberhammer. In 1913 expansion works were carried out, but in 1914, following the outbreak of the First World War, the refuge became the property of the Austro-Hungarian army as it was located in a strategic point with respect to the Son Pouses front.
After the conflict Cortina d'Ampezzo became part of the Kingdom of Italy (1918) and the refuge became property of the Italian army. In 1920 it was taken over by the CAI section of Biella which enlarged and reopened it with the name of Biella refuge.
Following the Second World War, the alpine hut was managed by the Treviso section of the CAI, and then passed in 1992 to the family of the mountain guide Guido Salton who still manages it.