Schlosspark Laxenburg

Schloßpl., 1 - 2361 Laxenburg - Mödling   see map - Contact
Laxenburg castles are imperial palaces and castles located on the outskirts of Vienna, near the village of Laxenburg, in Lower Austria. The castles became the property of the Habsburg family in 1333 as an alternative summer residence to Schönbrunn Palace. The Blauer Hof palace saw the birth of some members of the royal family, including Prince Rudolph of Habsburg-Lorraine. Another castle near the complex is that of Franzensburg. Currently the castles are used for events, conferences and concerts, as well as as a museum to preserve the various paintings and precious furniture that they contain inside

Schlosspark Laxenburg History

Schlosspark Laxenburg with its vast landscaped park, the Old Castle, the Blue Court and the romantic Franzensburg Castle and many other noteworthy ornamental buildings is considered one of the most important monuments of historical garden art of the 18th and 19th centuries and has a history dating back to the 13th century It is a legacy of the greatness of the Habsburg dynasty, who built it for holidays.

The old castle of Laxenburg became a possession of the Habsburgs in 1333 and was enlarged from its original project in the seventeenth century by the Italian architect Lodovico Burnacini. The Blue Court was built in 1745 during the reign of Empress Maria Theresa of Austria and as such has interiors with Rococo decorations.

The most famous building in Laxenburg is undoubtedly the Franzensburg built by Emperor Franz II. Laxenburg was his declared favorite stay. There are two scenes captured from paintings that significantly characterize Emperor Francis and both take place in Laxenburg. J The palace park owes its present appearance to the Emperor Francis, who from 1798 to 1835 had the park enlarged and transformed into an English garden.

Laxenburg was the most frequent country stay for the emperor's nephews - Franz Joseph I and his brothers. It was therefore chosen as the first stay after the marriage of Francesco Giuseppe with Elisabetta. As a result, the Laxenburg imperial court's annual residence was reintroduced. In 1856 Elizabeth gave birth to her daughter Gisela in Laxenburg. The ceremonial baptism also took place in Laxenburg in the large dining room. Crown Prince Rudolf was born and baptized in Laxenburg in 1858.

The end of the monarchy brought a major turning point for Laxenburg. The administration was transferred from the Habsburg-Lorraine Family Fund to the War Damage Fund.

Today the buildings managed by the Schloss Laxenburg Betriebsgesellschaft mbH house numerous institutions, such as the Film-Archiv-Austria in the old castle and the forester's house and especially the IIASA (International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis), founded in 1972 and was a Laxenburg is based. At the same time, the Laxenburg Conference Center rents the historic halls of the dining room wing and the palace theater to interested parties for a variety of events.

Schlosspark Laxenburg

Time period
  • Middle Ages
Where
  • Austria, Mödling
Contact this facility

Do you want know more about this facility? Fill out this form and you will be contacted soon. Please enter a vaild email address.

Schlosspark Laxenburg
  Schloßpl., 1 - 2361 Laxenburg
  +43 2236 71226
  www.schloss-laxenburg.at/
  https://www.facebook.com/schlossparklaxenburg
  https://www.instagram.com/schlossparklaxenburg/

Schlosspark Laxenburg
Offered services

Location for Ceremonies and Conferences Location for Ceremonies and Conferences
Museum / Monument Museum / Monument

Schlosspark Laxenburg Where

Schlosspark Laxenburg
In the area

Is this your facility? Contact Us