Villa Necchi Campiglio is a historic residence that is part of the circuit of the "Case museums of Milan".
Located in via Mozart 14, it was built between 1932 and 1935 as an independent single-family house designed by Piero Portaluppi, one of the greatest Italian architects of that period, and is surrounded by a large garden with tennis court and swimming pool.
There was also the Chamber of the Princess, reserved for Princess Maria Gabriella of Savoy, a great friend of the Necchi sisters.
Villa Necchi Campiglio History
Secluded in the heart of an elegant neighborhood in the center of Milan, Villa Necchi Campiglio was designed between 1932 and 1935 by the Milanese architect Piero Portaluppi on behalf of the sisters Nedda and Gigina Necchi and Angelo Campiglio, husband of Gigina, exponents of an industrial bourgeoisie Lombard cultured and in step with the times.
The building, inserted in an enchanting garden with tennis court and swimming pool, is marked by large linear volumes; while the ground floor served as a prestigious representative area, with the magnificent veranda overlooking the greenery, the upper one was used as a sleeping area.
Spaces that express the entry of rationalism into city architecture and at the same time, the designer's whimsical imagination and the persistence of elements of the Deco taste.
The splendor of the déco furnishings, everyday objects and important pieces of art has been enhanced in recent times by the legacy of the Micheli and Gian Ferrari collections, rich in works: paintings by Tiepolo and Canaletto up to Sironi, Rosalba Carriera , De Chirico, Martini and Wildt.
Since November 2017 the villa has been enriched with the Guido Sforni Collection: 21 works on paper by great twentieth-century artists such as Picasso, Fontana, Modigliani Matisse and others.
The Villa is now open to everyone, thus respecting the wishes of the Necchi sisters who in 2001 entrusted the dwelling to FAI to make it a place to live and attend, thanks also to the cool garden, the numerous events on the calendar and an elegant bistro immersed in the green.