The Castle of Pagazzano, dating back to the fourteenth century, is located between the green fields of the Bergamo plain, in the territories that were under the dominion of the Visconti. Among the best preserved castles in the whole of Lombardy, it is now owned by the Municipality and houses the Museum of Peasant Civilization and the Multimedia Museum.
Castello di Pagazzano History
The Castle of Pagazzano rises outside the homonymous village, along the road to Treviglio, among the cultivated fields of the low Bergamo plain. Its long history begins already in the late Middle Ages, when a first nucleus of the fortified building was already known, but the construction of the manor as it comes to the present day is realized in the XIV century, when the territory was under the control of the Visconti.
On the quadrangular plan the keep was built at the entrance and the north-east part, dedicated to ceremonies. In 1454 it underwent modifications and extensions by Pietro and Sagramoro Visconti, who also added the moat around the structure, still containing water, and the walls with towers. A century later, in a period of relative political peace, the castle passes into the properties of Galeazzo Visconti, which changes its destination from a defensive structure to a stately home. The defensive elements of the part on the west are thus demolished and the palace becomes a residence with gardens. Other changes come with the seventeenth and seventeenth centuries, when the castle was converted into a farm: in 1613 the stalls were added and in 1736 the wine press.
After the last descendant Visconti, the owners became the marquises Bigli of Milan, who renewed the residence by building an imposing fan-shaped staircase and introducing new decorations. In the 20th century, the structure was still used as a farm, until, in 1999, the castle was bought by the municipality of Pagazzano.
There are numerous events and curiosities related to the castle, as well as the illustrious guests that has hosted over the centuries: the environments that we can admire today were also used by Francesco Petrarca, who arrived here in search of relaxation, for a stay away from political concerns.
Today the castle houses the Museum of Rural Civilization and the Multimedia Museum, with inside it some rooms furnished with objects and vintage tools used by farmers and others completely rebuilt.