Saalhof Castle is one of the oldest castles in the Pinzgau region. It dates back to the 11th century, when it seems to have been the residence of the Counts of the region. During the renovations of the north and east facades, ancient foundations and walls were found, on which the castle was built in its present form in 1600. The interior and the wood paneling with engravings date back to 1625
Castle Saalhof History
According to documents from 1810, the castle is mentioned for the first time in the 11th century. after which it was known by the name of Saalburg (currently Saalhof)
which together with the Lichtenberg castle was the residence of the counts.
The Saalhof estate was originally owned by the archbishop "the devil" (Korand der Teufel). Later it was in the hands of several other owners, including one with an interesting name: the so-called "iron stand" (Otto der Eisenstang).
Johann Zehentner, the ancestor of our Rieder family, bought the castle and estate in 1840 and they have been in the family ever since. The one above is the heraldic coat of arms of the aristocratic owners from 1661
Unfortunately, many of the attractions of the past have been lost, for example the most beautiful paneling of the castle, which was sold to the Bavarian National Museum in Munich and which did not survive the Second World War. For children there are also many interesting historical objects, in particular the old agricultural tools which are found in the large atrium with an area of 300 m.
A walk in the castle seems like a journey into the Middle Ages: the three large crates of wheat under the roof of the former granary testify to the agricultural past of the castle. There was even a private chapel in the castle around 1851.
Saalhof Castle has been subject to the monument law since 1993.
The famous painter Anton Faistauer from Pinzgau fell in love with the view of the castle with the beautiful mountain scenery in the background and often chose Saalhof castle as the motif for his paintings.