Among the renowned places, the Caffè Roma already Talmone is a cutting-edge of history between the frenzy of the nearby Porta Nuova station and the beginning of the elegant and central Via Roma. This corner of the beautiful Piazza Carlo Felice is a must for those taking a walk downtown: a good coffee, a chocolate, a "bicerin" without forgetting the Moroccan, pardon the "Talmoncino", consumed inside the 'cozy room, in the air-conditioned gazebo or under the romantic arcades make you enjoy and appreciate the traditions of Turin, such as "mignon" pastries, pralines and the classic Gianduiotti.
Confetteria Roma già Talmone History
The coffee Talmone was inaugurated in 1883 in Via Lagrange, then in 1912 it was transferred to Via Roma corner Via Cavour; it changed again at the beginning of the 1930s to settle in 1936 in the current location of Piazza Carlo Felice 36, changing the definition in Caffè Roma, formerly Talmone.
The restaurant was opened by Michele Talmone, one of the first who imported chocolate processing in Piedmont; throughout the Risorgimento the Torinese learned to taste here the products that were packaged in the Borgo San Donato plant. Soon the Talmone products had international resonance and contributed to creating Turin the capital of chocolate.
Frequented by cultural figures, politicians, statesmen and great entrepreneurs (Giolitti often entered with his typical broad-brimmed hat), a foyer of ideas, vital spirits, propitious to reading as well as politics, as well as a place for social gatherings, he maintained over time its elegant and elegant atmosphere.
Thanks to the bond of the Superintendence for Cultural Heritage that has not allowed the use of the premises to be changed and has defined the furnishings "of artistic and historical interest", in the bright and warm environments, modern technologies coexist with historical furnishings such as the pastry counter and sandwiches, the chest dated 1912, the bar counter dating back to 1936, all decorated with mother-of-pearl marks. The round tables in walnut and opal glass are flanked by airy chairs signed by Paolo Dominioni, while the environment is lit by linear hanging lamps in crystal, designed by Philip Stark.
The pastry shop prepares numerous and varied delicacies every day, among which the typical "mignon" very appreciated by the Torinesi stand out, it is also able to satisfy the requests with high quality products, which stimulate the desire for sweetness and generously know how to satisfy it. A wide assortment of pralines, chocolates, the Turin-style Gianduiotti and various types of candies complete the wide exposition.
The ice creams produced daily by the laboratory, in the typical variety of creams or in the classic fruit flavors, are more and more appreciated for their quality both in the "walking cone" version and in the cups, which are served at the internal and external tables. Of course, wanting to point out a taste for everyone, the "Gianduia" ice cream deserves to be tasted.
Every occasion is good to offer our products as a gift. An assorted range of pralines, sweets, cremini, or the Gianduiotti, the classic Turin chocolates, are presented in elegant gift boxes on which antique prints of the beautiful Turin are reproduced. A sweet souvenir that will be appreciated and will remain in time!
In the Christmas season we pack in beautiful silk-screened boxes, in antique wood, or in wicker baskets, or in wrought iron, all our sweets, including jars, marron glacés, or Gianduia cream and of course our panettone, also in the appreciated "marron glacé" version; to these you can add any type of wine or fine liqueur, according to personal tastes.