Among the Tuscan castles, a symbol of the spirit of independence and individual daring, there is undoubtedly the Ripa d’Orcia Castle, the Piccolomini-Clementini Castle, which stands remote, solitary, majestic in the face of Rocca a Tentennano.
Castello Di Ripa D'Orcia History
The oldest indication of the existence of a settlement in Ripa d’Orcia, sometimes with the Ripa al Cotone variant, dates back to 1271.
In 1274 the Castle of Ripa d’Orcia, together with many other possessions, was owned by the Salimbeni family which placed itself in Val d'Orcia at the head of a real state.
Since 1484 it has been owned by the noble Piccolomini family (and its descendants) and since 1990 the castle has been renovated into a prestigious residence inn. The house that today as 800 years dominates the vast landscape of the Valdorcia, offers 6 double rooms with B&B treatment and 7 self catering apartments.
The castle restaurant offers a rich menu of local specialties, including the oil and wine produced on the castle's agricultural estate.
An environment where history, tradition and the mysterious charm of times gone by come together in an exclusive refuge from the stress of daily routine.