The Royal club Circolo Canottieri Tevere Remo is a historic sailing club founded in 1872 in Rome.
Reale Circolo Canottieri Tevere Remo History
The Tottiere Rowing Club Gymnastics Society - today the Royal Rowing Club Tiber Remo - was formally born on January 1, 1872. Its roots, however, are rooted in more distant times. The founders, Guglielmo Grant and Guglielmo Serny, had in fact founded, in 1867, the Serny Gymnastics Society also dedicated to rowing.
The Society, which first introduced gymnastics and rowing to Rome, had a clear Risorgimento vocation, so much so that after the annexation of Rome to the Kingdom of Italy, it received high awards from the Savoy Royal House. These awards include the accession, since its foundation as honorary members, of Prince Thomas of Savoy Duke of Genoa, brother of the future Queen Margherita, of the Minister of the Navy of the time Admiral Benedetto Brin and of the Mayor of the Capital.
Before the establishment of the Royal Italian Yacht Club (RYCI) in 1879 in which the Club participated directly, the Tiber Club Gymnastics Society installed a sailing base in Palo Laziale, in the estate of Prince Ladislao Odescalchi founder of the town of Ladispoli and second President, after Guglielmo Grant, of the Sodalizio. In 1912, with the merger with the Circolo del Remo, the base was transferred to Anzio where it is still in full operation.
The club has a long and prestigious history in the field of rowing and sailing and there are many titles, medals and trophies won since 1875; many of them show off in the headquarters building. They also highlight the prestige gained in sport by the Royal Rowing Club Tiber Remo, the Gold Star and the Gold Collar for sporting merit, the highest honors of the CONI, which it has been awarded.