The Marian sanctuary of Oropa, located a few kilometers north of Biella at an altitude of 1159 m in a suggestive mountain setting, is one of the most famous pilgrimage destinations in Piedmont and in Italy. The religious complex has a smaller basilica, two squares and chapels, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It offers hospitality in more than 300 rooms of various types, as well as the possibility to organize meetings and conferences in the large conference rooms.
Santuario di Oropa History
The Sanctuary of Oropa, dedicated to the Black Madonna, is located a dozen kilometers from Biella, in a natural amphitheater formed by the Biella Alps.
Legend has it that the complex was founded by St. Eusebius, bishop of Vercelli in the fourth century, but the oldest documents concerning the sanctuary date back to the thirteenth century, although it is certain the presence and work of catechization of the saint in the valleys of Biella where at the time Roman polytheism still prevailed.
Of the first half of the fourteenth century is the Gothic statue of the Black Madonna who is venerated in the sanctuary, while from 1400 the Biella families began to build private houses in Oropa, occasionally used to host pilgrims. During the Baroque period, the sanctuary experienced a period of great expansion: thanks to the protection of the House of Savoy, illustrious architects such as Filippo Juvarra, Ignazio Galletti and Guerino Guarini lent their art to Oropa.
Towards the end of the nineteenth century the construction of the new church began. The first stone of the new temple, which with its high dome closes the sanctuary scenographically, was laid in 1885 and consecrated in 1960. Inside the sanctuary there is also a meteorological-seismic observatory founded in 1874 by the father of Barnabite Francis Denza of Naples, founder
The sanctuary also includes various structures for the hospitality of the faithful and tourists. An ideal destination for those who want to combine moments of inner serenity with cultural opportunities, offers over 300 rooms divided into Host, Comfort, Junior Suite, Superior Junior Suite and Suite. The thirteen restaurants and trattorias adjacent to the Sanctuary offer local gastronomic specialties and accurate menus for every occasion. It is also possible to organize meetings and conferences in the two 150 and 80-seat rooms equipped with state-of-the-art equipment.