Mirabell Castle, in German Schloss Mirabell, is a palace in Salzburg, Austria, one of the most important artistic and cultural destinations in the city.
Schloss Mirabell History
The castle of Mirabell was erected starting from 1606 at the behest of the then archbishop of Salzburg, Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau, who built it outside the original city walls for the lover Salomé Alt who moved here with his 15 children had by the prelate. The structure was first called castle Altenau. Today some traces remain of this structure in the south-western corner of the structure and in the basement. After the fall of von Raitenau and his isolation in the fortress of Hohensalzburg in 1612 his successor, his nephew Markus Sittikus von Hohenems changed its name to the castle and transformed it into the current castle of Mirabell (from the Latin "mirabilis" = beautiful), intent on completely erasing the memory of his predecessor.
The prince bishop Paride Lodron from 1620 to 1642, during the Thirty Years' War, had the walls of the city redone including also the castle of Mirabell and its gardens where he took up permanent residence and died there subsequently.
With the secularization of the archiepiscopal principality of Salzburg following the dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire, the castle became the property of the Bavarian ruling house which obtained the area of Salzburg. In June 1818 Ottone di Baviera (later king of Greece) was born at Mirabell Castle.
Subsequently Salzburg returned to the hands of Austria and the castle was annexed among the properties of the Austrian imperial family. In 1866, the castle, together with the Kapuzinerberg, was sold to the city of Salzburg for the sum of 50,000 thalers and the garden was opened to the public as a park.
The French garden of the castle of Mirabell is another of the palace's great attractions, opened on a direct perspective on the Cathedral dominated by the Fortress. Fortunately it was largely preserved by the 1818 fire that hit the castle instead.