900 years ago, the Gebhardsberg was considered one of the most beautiful scenic spots in the entire Lake Constance region, with views of the lake, the Rhine Valley and the Swiss mountains. This fairytale castle Gebhardsberg is also a privileged place to host weddings, birthday parties and company parties, with its many rooms, the courtyard, the renowned restaurant and the well-stocked cellar.
Burgrestaurant Gebhardsberg History
The construction of the castle began after the destruction of Bregenz by the abbot of St. Gall. Initially it had no tower and the entrance was on the side of the mountain above a pond.
Around 1170 the castle became the property of the Palatine Count Hugo of Tübingen
In 1209 the castle is mentioned for the first time in a document, where a Ministerial resided.
In 1400 the construction of the Rondelle began (semicircular towers in the ring wall). In 1608 Bartolomeo Lucchese erected the bastion and the vault on the mountainside between the walls of the sea side and the walls of the fortress.
In the mid-18th century, Maria Theresa decreed that the city of Bregenz should receive the ruins because Ita, nephew of the last Earl of Bregenz, was the great-grandmother of King Rudolph of Habsburg.
In 1964 the restaurant was built according to the plans of W. Braun and P. Menia in their current form. Here is the cannon of the Thirty Years War and a Gothic Rankweil ceiling is installed in the Ritterstube, which was previously in the salt collection of the Voreslberger Landesmuseum. Empress Maria Teresa is remembered in a room that bears her name with her photo.
1988 In 1988, Christian Greber hires the castle restaurant on the Gebhardsberg as tenant, which he leads today with his daughters Manuela and Daniela. Through a lot of personal and inventive dedication, making the Gebhardsberg a true Mecca for gourmets.