The historic home of Castello di Flambruzzo was built in the 18th century and was part of the defensive line of "water castles" to protect the Friuli lowlands and combines typical features of the evolution from a fort to an eighteenth-century villa with an English park, extended for more than three hectares, characterized by resurgence waters and suggestive islands connected together.
Castello di Flambruzzo History
The first historical trace of the castle dates back to 1258 when the Savorgnan family returned to the patriarch Gregorio di Montelongo "castrum et villam inferior de Flambro".
Later the fiefdom was ceded to the Count of Gorizia who in 1466 entrusted it to the family of the Counts of Codroipo who held it until the early twentieth century. The fiefdoms of the Count of Gorizia passed by inheritance to the Habsburgs and even the castle of Flambruzzo was "home of Austria" until Napoleon.
In 1912 the castle was purchased by Count Francesco Rota of San Vito al Tagliamento. The Rota family, of Bergamo origin, had settled in Friuli in 1570 in Codroipo. Two other important families from Friuli became extinct in this family: the de Rinaldis of San Vito al Tagliamento and the Bertoli of Mereto di Tomba. Francesco Rota resold the Castle after a few years but, after the Second World War, it was purchased by Mario Badoglio, husband of one of Francesco's daughters and is still inhabited by his family today.
The castle is surrounded by a splendid English-style park full of irrigation ditches and spring lakes. The oldest part of the house is the side facing the road with the tower which can be accessed by crossing the large moat with a bridge that was once a drawbridge. The residential wing was added to this ancient nucleus in the seventeenth century which ends with a large oratory, consecrated in 1598, richly decorated with eighteenth-century stuccos.
The elegant and welcoming structure has large rooms, a pleasant terrace overlooking the garden, beautiful outdoor views with spaces that can accommodate up to 250 people, and a chapel, where you can celebrate the religious rite of your wedding.