The Castle of Rivalta is an imposing fortified complex with a thousand years of history, surrounded by a magnificent park, with at its feet the ancient walled village of Rivalta, beautifully preserved.
The Castello di Rivalta is located in the heart of Val Trebbia, in the province of Piacenza and is one of the architectural and historical jewels of western Emilia.
The earliest records of the castle date back to 1025. In 1048 it was donated by the Emperor Henry III to the order of the Benedictine monks of San Savino di Piacenza and in the 12th it passed under the jurisdiction of the Malaspina family.
From the fourteenth century the feud and the village entered the domain of Obizzo Landi and since then, with brief interruptions, continues to belong to the Landi family.
The castle has a quadrangular planimetry. From one of the corners stands an elegant cylindrical tower that overlooks the entire complex, bringing a torresino to the summit. In the middle of the 15th century some important military operations date back to adapt the structure to the innovations brought by the artillery. The building is also enlarged with a palace divided into a courtyard, to turn the castle into a sumptuous residence. The facade dates back to the eighteenth century, the staircase that leads to the upper floor and further changes wanted by the Marquis Giuseppe Landi to adapt the complex to the elegance of a residential villa.
Currently the Castle of Rivalta consists of about fifty rooms fully furnished and in the medieval village also of 12 luxury rooms for hotel hospitality. In the building there is also a museum area dedicated to the weapons dedicated to the battle of Lepanto, the museum of uniforms and that of exploration and sacred art.
The Castle is famous for being periodically frequented by prestigious guests during their stays in Italy, like the royal family of England.