Roddi Castle is a fortification dating back to the 11th century located on the top of the hill on which the village of Roddi is perched, in the province of Cuneo, in Piedmont.
The castle is known to have been owned by the Pico della Mirandola family.
Subsequent owners of the castle were the Della Chiesa di Saluzzo, who took possession of it in 1690. After the Congress of Vienna the castle of Roddi became the property of the Savoy family and then of the Italian state. In 2001 the castle finally became municipal property and then in 2007 entered the circuit of the eight castles "Castelli D.O.C." of the UNESCO site of the Piedmont wine landscape: Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
Castello di Roddi History
Of all the castles of the Langhe, that of Roddi is often defined as the most interesting from a historical and architectural point of view; perched on the top of the hill it majestically overlooks the village of the town. It was owned by Gaio Francesco della Mirandola, descendant and grandson of the well-known humanist and philosopher Pico della Mirandola.
We have to go to the 11th century to detect the first fortified construction in the same place where the Castle now stands; the construction of the castle as it appears today probably dates back to the end of the fourteenth / early fifteenth century and was probably the work of the powerful Roddese Faletti family.
Proceeding with history, another important date was 1526 when the property passed to the Counts of Mirandola and subsequently, in 1690, to another family, that of the Chiesa. During the Congress of Vienna, the Savoy family will take possession of the castle which will subsequently become a state property and then, definitively in 2001, property of the Municipality of Roddi
The Castle is characterized by a central body of 3 floors and two cylindrical towers; the two towers are different from each other: the first is slender and tall while the one on the opposite side is lower.
The typology is defined as the "Dongione"; this term defines the highest tower of a castle, designed to serve both as an observation point and as a last refuge, in the event that the rest of the fortification should be occupied by the enemy.
Unfortunately, there is no trace of the drawbridge that protected the Castle. At present, access is via an external courtyard.
The main surprises are found inside where we can find numerous decorations and wooden coffered ceilings and the beautiful historic kitchens dating back to the sixteenth century.
At present, the main structure of the Castle can be partially visited even if it is awaiting restoration while its relevance has recently been restored: the goal is to create an International Alba White Truffle Cooking School within it.
Currently a modern didactic kitchen has been built, equipped with 12 modern steel stations that will be useful for tourists to learn the fundamentals of Langhe cuisine.