l Real Castello di Verduno is a complex of the 16th century completely restored in successive stages placed in a splendid position that allows the eye to wander from the Langhe to the Alps. The restaurant, divided into two 18th century rooms, has a kitchen next to the large dishes traditional recipes are complemented by the search for novelty and freshness. The rooms of the hotel, in the upper part of the castle, the guesthouse and the castalderia are tastefully furnished and offer every comfort to which modernity has accustomed us.
Real Castello di Verduno History
Since 1953, the old guest house and the Castalderia of Verduno have hosted a hotel, owned by the Burlotto family, which also directly manages its management. The castle was built in the sixteenth century and already in 1631 passed under the jurisdiction of the Savoy. During the eighteenth century the great architect Juvarra designed the reconstruction of a damaged part, while a century later it became a favorite destination of the Savoy family, who gathered there during the summer, with the acquisition of the castle by King Charles Alberto di Savoia entrusting the management of the estate and the cellar to the famous winemaker General Staglieno. A man of arms and an expert enologist, he worked, on behalf of the King, to obtain a great wine from the best vineyards with Nebbiolo grapes: the Barolo del Castello di Verduno. Towards the end of the nineteenth century in Barbaresco the White family had owned vineyards and cultivated the vine, but it was by Battista Bianco the courageous decision to start vinifying their grapes to produce wine and market it.
The available accommodation includes senior suites, junior suites and numerous doubles, including three with private bathrooms but outside the rooms. Simple and elegantly composed, they each have some period furniture and, together with the common rooms, recall the sober royalty of a century-old building that has seen crowned heads and personalities of all kinds pass through its rooms.
Located in the heart of a generous land of fruit and renowned for its abundant and excellent wine production, the castle of Verduno is also a well-known wine brand, such as Barolo, Barbera, Barbaresco, Nebbiolo and, of course, the Verduno Pelaverga, the red Doc of this area of the Langhe. All wines that prepare the tables of the restaurant, accompanying the typical dishes of the area or inspired by the ancient recipe book of the castle, as for example, the jura (stewed beef meat), the "filetto alla Carlo Alberto", the "meat of Verduno "(carpaccio) or hazelnut cake. Who, conquered by so much wealth of flavors, decided to deepen their knowledge of food and wine traditions, can visit the historic cellars of the castle and participate in tastings or cooking classes and taste education that are organized periodically.
The hotel is also the setting for the "Arte nel castello" event, which hosts exhibitions, concerts and cultural conferences from March to November.