On the gentle and green hills of the Anghiari area, where Tuscany sees nearby Umbria because the thin border line is just a stone's throw away, there is a place full of history, environment and suggestions: it is the Castello di Sorci.
Castello di Sorci History
The origin of the name is explained by several theses. The one, more legendary, refers to a bloody and victorious clash with those of the Castle of the Cats, meaning with "sorci" the plural of "sorcio", or mouse. According to another more reliable thesis, supported by a Florentine codex of the fourteenth century, the derivation would be "sorco", synonymous with scopeto. Sorci would therefore mean "place of brooms" and those of scrub in particular were part of the local vegetation.
Among the first owners there were the Tarlati, of Germanic origin. who lived there between 1200 and 1388, and then passed under the dominion of Baldaccio Bruni, better known as Baldaccio d'Anghiari, also lord of the castle of Ranco, which is also linked to the legend of the spectrum that would wander among the walls of the manor on the anniversary of his death. The castle was subsequently the home of the Pichi family, who turned it into a farm, "status" covered up in practice to 1970, the year in which Primetto Barelli and his wife Gabriella Bartolini ?? together with his sons Veronica, Alessandro and Alberto - they decided to take the castle and transform it into a receptive place, of culture and of many initiatives and events.
The internal rooms of the Castello di Sorci are often used for convivial, banquets and ceremonies of all kinds. In this respect, the rooms are hardly deserted, but next to the Castello di Sorci, divided by only 200 meters, there is the inn that bears the same name, whose cuisine, in line with the Tuscan tradition and also Umbrian, reflects those of the great old manor houses, when, since there were no containers for refrigerated storage, the preparation of food took place using fresh and genuine ingredients.