Castel Pergine rises above the Colle di Tegazzo dominating the whole of the Upper Valsugana and houses in its imposing medieval structure a hotel and a restaurant.
Castel Pergine History
The fortification of Castel Pergine is located on the top of the Tegazzo hill and according to some scholars a first construction is attributable to the Lombard period. It is however very probable that already in earlier times there were settlements on the hill, given the various archaeological findings on the nearby hill and the surrounding land.
Built in the thirteenth century it belonged to the dukes of Austria under the reign of Margarete Maultasch and later to Emperor Maximilian I.
In the second half of the fifteenth century, under the Tyrolean domination, the reconstruction of the manor dates back to the Gothic style that still characterizes it today; he lost the fortress configuration to assume, with the construction of the central building, that of residence. In 1531 it passed into the hands of the Princes Bishops of Trento.
At the beginning of 1900 it was sold to a German company which, with a restoration, transformed it into a hotel and restaurant. In 1956 it was bought by Mario Oss, remaining until now owned by his family, providing the 21 rooms of the wing that dates back to the Renaissance period.
The complex is divided into two city walls divided into curtains: the medieval defense posts, such as the towers and the keep, and the renaissance residential buildings.
The rooms on the upper and central floors have been preserved in their original state of 1910, while the rooms on the ground floor have been recently restored. All characterized by a simple and always up-to-date luxury, they allow to enjoy a marvelous sight on the plain of Pergine, while in the distance the peaks of the Brenta Dolomites stand majestically.
In the evening, tasty meals are served by candlelight in the medieval halls. The kitchen, which can accommodate between 65 and 70 guests, offers always fresh and imaginative dishes, combining the gastronomic tradition of Trentino with that of Italy.