A café in the center of Vienna for classy customers from all over the world. Conditorei Sluka on Rathausplatz has been a meeting place for Vienna's elite since its early history, particularly appreciated by artists, politicians and scholars. Today, as in the past, it welcomes visitors in a luxurious and elegant environment where they can spend a morning delighting themselves with homemade desserts, having lunch with the menu of the day or attending the numerous events hosted within the walls of this historic building.
Konditorei Sluka Rathausplatz History
Conditorei Sluka on Rathausplatz has been a meeting place for Vienna's elite since its early days in history. The Conditorei was particularly appreciated by artists, politicians and scholars.
In 1891, Wilhelm Josef Sluka and his wife Josefine opened a "Conditorei" (coffee and pastry shop) in the building formerly called Reichratsstrasse 13, it is now known as Rathausplatz 8, between the Town Hall (Rathaus) and the Parliament building. The founder was honored by the imperial family for his exceptional craftsmanship after a few years of activity. So it was that, in the nineteenth century, the Conditorei was designated as "supplier of the imperial and royal court", and thus became the imperial coffee of Vienna.
The ground on which the Conditorei Sluka Rathausplatz is located had previously been used as a parade ground. Then, between 1877 and 1878, the two architects who designed the Town Hall, Friedrich von Schmidt and Franz von Neumann, built a building that was one of the first ancient German-style buildings in the district of the Town Hall.