The Royal Yacht Club Canottieri Savoia is an ancient and prestigious nautical club in Naples, founded in 1893, with headquarters in Banchina Santa Lucia 13, a few steps from Castel dell’Ovo and in the heart of the charming promenade.
At the Savoia Club the atmosphere of the old English clubs is relived thanks to its ultra-centenary traditions that allow its members and guests to spend a few hours in total relaxation: sauna, sailing or rowing trips, bar, gym, reading rooms , party room, dining room and terrace.
Reale Yacht Club Canottieri Savoia History
The Circolo Canottieri Sebezia was founded on 15 July 1893 by eleven members previously belonging to the Circolo del Remo e della Vela Italia. Two years later the name would become Yacht Club Canottieri Savoia.
The original founders separated from the Circolo Italia by mutual agreement to constitute a competitive alternative to their old club. In the demerger agreement, the new club received an old four seat fixed gig called Nautilus as a dowry.
On 15 August 1894, during a violent storm, the Nautilus capsized causing the death of three of the four occupants who participated in a Naples-Capri-Naples rowing raid. The Rowers Sebezia, severely affected by mourning, risked the dissolution. The members turned to the Princely House for help. Umberto I and his son and heir Vittorio Emanuele, Prince of Naples, intervened in favor of the club, giving it a new impetus.
In gratitude to the Royal House, the members of the Rowing Club Sebezia changed the name of the Club by inserting the name Savoia and, to remember their missing friends, they replaced the social blue color with the black color.
Subsequently Vittorio Emanuele III, having become king, will grant Savoia the Circolo Reale license and will assume the Honorary Presidency which he will keep for forty-six years.
Today the club has members inserted at the highest levels of political, scientific, industrial, amateur, artistic and not only national life. Every day the social successes of the Club are accompanied by social events that make Savoy the prestigious center of the most beautiful cultural and social activity in Naples. In 1997, the Shareholders' Meeting decided to return to the old name, thus regaining the title of "Reale" which disappeared in 1946 after the outcome of the institutional referendum.
The current one, in Banchina Santa Lucia, has been the home of the Savoy Club since 1893. The property is one of the most evocative of the city: 1,000 square meters on the Naples waterfront a few meters from the Castel dell'Ovo, with representative rooms, lounges , dining room, reading room, kitchen, changing rooms, men's and women's toilets, chair, billiard room, bar, secretary's office. The external surface is composed of a terrace with a garden which welcomes both summer and winter.