The Relais San Maurizio has become the ideal destination for moments of absolute well-being and relaxation. The frescoed rooms, the 31 rooms with particular decorations, the gardens and the park with old trees are enchanting. From the large outdoor swimming pool, at the top of the hill, the view dominates the landscape at 360 degrees. The hotel houses the Michelin-starred restaurant of Guido da Costigliole and the exclusive Medical & Beauty SPA 'La Via del Sale'.
Relais San Maurizio History
The history of the Relais San Maurizio began in the seventeenth century when a group of Cistercian monks built a monastery on the remains of an ancient chapel built on a hill overlooking the Langhe. That abandoned territory, where nature reigned supreme, therefore became a place of work and prayer, a place where the days were marked by the striking of the bells. The unceasing and precious work of the monks made the hill of San Maurizio a particularly fertile place for the most varied crops, from vines to ancient cereals, from medicinal herbs to spices.
In 1862, the monastery was bought by the Incisa counts - noble family of the surrounding valleys - and transformed into a noble residence. A new phase began for the monastery, in which the ancient cloister was transformed into an Italian garden and the austerity left the step to paintings and bright colors.
Coming to the present day, after four years of rigorous conservative restoration that has preserved and brought to light the ancient architectural heritage of the monastery in 2002, the ancient monastery and the noble residence have become a single soul bearing the five stars of hospitality.
San Maurizio soon became a reference point for the most refined hospitality and culinary experimentation, while preserving centuries-old traditions.