Kendlerstraße, 1 - 5020 Salzburg - Salzburg   see map - Contact
The Stiegl brewery in Salzburg is an Austrian brewery. Stiegl is Austria's largest private brewery and one of the places that attract the most tourists to Salzburg. Beer lovers will find endless possibilities to discover beer with all their senses: from the cinema of the brewery to the cooking room up to the gastronomy entirely dedicated to beer.

Stiegl History

In 1492 the Prewhaus on the Gstätten was mentioned for the first time in a document. At that time, Hans Peuntner bequeathed the brewery to the widow of his son Jörg. The brewery took its name from a small staircase that led from the Alkanal brewery. The old brewery served as a brewery until 1909, when it was sold to the city of Salzburg, which in turn sold part of the building to the Ursuline monastery. The order had a women's high school built here. Today there is also a small staircase leading from Gstättengasse to Anton-Neumayr-Platz.

In 1819, Johann Schreiner purchased the Stiegl brewery. Together with his wife Anna Holzegger, he purchased the house number 206 in Festungsgasse and built a cellar in March. Today's terraced garden was originally part of the city's fortifications. In 1838 the Stiegl brewery acquired the tap license for the garden and the storage cellar. The March winery was further expanded in 1840 and in 1860 Josef Schreiner had a second winery built. In 1901 it was rebuilt by the master builder Jacob Ceconi and equipped with rowers, gables and turrets. The last renovation was carried out in 1926 by the Munich architect Franz Zell.

There is an inn with a large outdoor dining room on Müllner Hauptstraße no. 7 from the 17th century. In the 18th and 19th centuries, Judengasse's Moserbräu ran an inn and a beer cellar. At the end of the 18th century, an imperial advertising house for soldiers was hosted. After some intermediate owners, the house was acquired by the Stiegl brewery in 1902 and transformed into a famous beer cellar. The building is also known for an imperial visit: Emperor Francis I and Tsar Alexander I were en route to the so-called Veronese Congress of the Holy Alliance in 1822. They met with their entourage in this house to see a skipper who jump on the Salzach. Today the building has been converted into an apartment building.

In 1863, Josef Schreiner moved the brewery to Maxglan. His successor Kiener also purchased the so-called Rochuskaserne together with the plague chapel of St. Roch in 1901. This building was originally built under the archbishop Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau as an urban plague house. Archbishop Sigismund Graf Schrattenbach had the hospital renovated in 1754-1758 and turned it into a "breeding and job for pimpers, fornication and servants and helpless children". An inscription above the entrance gate commemorates this use ("Abstine aut sustine", 1758, or "Meide oder leide"). When Salzburg came to Austria in 1816, the hospital was used as a barracks and the chapel was also demolished. Today, among other things, the stables for fermentation horses are housed, but in the center there is still the chapel of Rochus, which is important in terms of cultural history.

After a serious fire in Maxglan, the brewery was taken over by Franz Huemer in 1887, who reorganized the company's finances. Within ten years, it increased production from 18,000 to 90,000 hectoliters. In 1889, his nephew Heinrich Kiener joined the company, whose descendants still control the brewery today.

During the First World War, Stiegl suffered sharp drops, from which it slowly recovered in the 1920s. From 1920 the brewery had its own connection to the Austrian railway network via the so-called Stieglbahn, which made it much easier to transport beer. In 1924, every second beer drunk in Salzburg was a Stiegl. From 1921 to 1925 the empty farm buildings of the Maxglan brewery were rented to the Salzburger Kunstfilm, Salzburg's first film company, which set up film studios and a laboratory inside it. The stock market crash in 1929 once again caused lean times for the brewery, which ended only with the invasion of German troops in 1938 and the associated economic derision.

After the end of the Second World War, Stiegl was able to produce only about 67,000 liters of 2.5-degree thin beer due to the poor supply situation. It was not until 1948 that, thanks to better raw materials, it was again possible to offer a fairly decent beer. Since American soldiers stationed in Salzburg had enough raw materials available from home, they were able to resort to "high quality" beer. With the note "Brewed and bottled in the Stiegl brewery" on labels and coasters, reference is made to the production of "American" beer in the Stiegl brewery.

In 1990, 80-year-old Heinrich Kiener died after 51 years in the brewery. With Heinrich Dieter Kiener, another family member took over the Stiegl brewery. Since 1991 the fermentation and storage cellar has been expanded and in 1995 the largest beer exhibition in Europe has been opened and a place for concerts, theatrical performances


Time period
  • 1800s
  • Austria, Salzburg
Search accommodation nearby
Check availability and price with
Contact this facility

Do you want know more about this facility? Fill out this form and you will be contacted soon. Please enter a vaild email address.

  Kendlerstraße, 1 - 5020 Salzburg
  +43 50 14920

Offered services

Bar / Café Bar / Café
Museum / Monument Museum / Monument
Restaurant Restaurant
Shop / Historical Product Shop / Historical Product
Wine Shop / Cellar / Estate Wine Shop / Cellar / Estate
Is this your facility? Contact Us