Villa Trissino da Porto Marzotto is a complex built at the end of the 15th century on a pre-existing castle located in Trissino, in the province of Vicenza, consisting of an upper villa, a lower villa, monumental late-Baroque entrances, lemon house, octagonal fountain, horseman and over one hundred statues that adorn the large park, from which you can enjoy the panorama of the Agno valley and the surrounding countryside. It is closely linked to the events of the Trissino family, ancient feudal lords of the area and is considered among the most beautiful residences of the eighteenth century Vicenza
Villa Trissino Marzotto History
On the hill of Trissino since the early Middle Ages there was a stronghold and then a castle, theater in the thirteenth century of the struggles between the Guelphs and Ghibellines, which in the fifteenth century, according to the Renaissance style, was transformed into a country villa. This was the heart of the possessions of the ancient Trissino family that extended throughout the Agno Valley to the plains.
This villa, enlarged and renovated one last time between 1718 and 1722 by the architect Francesco Muttoni and, after his death, by Girolamo Dal Pozzo, has come to the Trissino Baston, owners of Palazzo Trissino, the current seat of the Municipality of Vicenza . Count Marcantonio Trissino Baston, son of Leonardo, in addition to ordering the renovation of the villa, in 1693 had Muttoni built the imposing entrance to the garden and the entrance to the upper villa. The architect also oversaw the construction of the stable and arrangement of the gardens, which offer a view of the Agno valley.
Count Cristoforo Trissino of the Riale branch always commissioned the lower villa from Francesco Muttoni, inaugurated in 1746. At the end of the same century and then again in 1841 the lower villa was seriously damaged by a fire. At the first event the building was restored, while after the second fire Alessandro Trissino Baston had it restored in 1843 as a scenographic ruin, according to the romantic fashion of the time.
Count Alessandro and his brothers had no direct heirs, so the whole property passed to the younger sister Francesca, wife of Count Ignazio Da Porto. The descendants, after a period of neglect, sold the property in 1951 to Giannino Marzotto who restored the upper Villa, the appurtenances and the park.