The "Vittoriale degli Italiani" is a monumental citadel extended for about nine hectares, built between 1921 and 1938 by the poet Gabriele D'Annunzio in collaboration with the architect Giancarlo Maroni, as a mausoleum of his adventure as an artist and hero. The Vittoriale today is a foundation open to the public and attracts over 180,000 visitors each year.
Vittoriale degli Italiani History
The Vittoriale degli Italiani - so Gabriele D'annunzio defined this house-museum that would host it during the last years of his life - occupies a vast land of nine hectares in which there is a complex of buildings, including the War Museum , the Citadel, the Libraries, the Archives, the Theater, squares, avenues, fountains and streams and is located in the town of Gardone Riviera, on the Brescia side of Lake Garda.
Collector and decorator of exception, the "Vate" designs in detail the eclectic scenography of his home, where thousands of objects of art, ceramics, carpets, silver and traces of the "inimitable living" of the poet-soldier are collected: dedicated to Italy and to the Italians, in 1925 it was declared a national monument.
Do not miss the "Priora", the real home where D'Annunzio lived: in perfect conditions of conservation, keeps the rooms intact as on the day the poet died. Salt with soft light and hushed silence, with precious tapestries and rugs covering the walls, preserving unique and inimitable artistic objects, busts, statues and silvers. All the rooms are named according to a particular symbolism: Leda, Zambracca, Mappamondo, Lebbroso, Mascheraio.
Among the many attractions of the complex, worthy of note is undoubtedly the Theater, overlooking the lake and designed as an ancient Greek amphitheater, so much so that the architect Maroni was sent on several occasions to Pompeii to study live the structure.
The citadel also preserves many historical relics related to the Italian war enterprises in the First World War, from the bow of the Puglia Ship, to the SVA plane of the flight over Vienna, to the MAS 96 of the famous Beffa di Buccari. Among the most significant objects visible in the large rooms are also the personal medal collection of D'Annunzio, his uniforms and various flags and gonfalons.
Throughout the exhibition it was deliberately avoided to adopt modern display technologies but a museum was created that reflected the original spirit and atmosphere of the house as D'Annunzio and Maroni had wanted and realized
Like the interiors, the large green spaces on the outside have been the subject of a very accurate installation of the author: nature, art and symbology are intertwined, enhanced by a profusion of cypresses, oleanders, palm trees, olive trees and hedges, an ancient limonaia and a magnificent rose garden.