The hermitage San Giorgio di Bardolino rises on Monte S. Giorgio, a promontory overlooking Lake Garda. Built in 1663 by Camaldolese monks who still inhabit it today, it offers the possibility to visit it respecting the silence and sacredness of this place.
Eremo San Giorgio di Bardolino History
The Hermitage San Giorgio di Bardolino was founded in 1663. Construction work continued throughout the 17th century and was completed with the construction of the church in 1704. Following the Napoleonic suppression of 1810 the Hermitage was abandoned and the complex was inhabited by peasants until 1885, when a Camaldolese community returned to live there.
Starting from 1885, with the withdrawal of the troops, the monks returned to live in the monastery. Since then to the present day, the monastery of S. Giorgio in Bardolino has remained the property of the hermits, except for a decade between 1962 and 1972, when it was entrusted to the diocese of Verona which made it a home for spiritual exercises.
The monastic community welcomes everyone to this place, dear to the religious memory of the whole surrounding area, inviting visitors to respect its peculiar character as a place of peace, silence and recollection;
According to the tradition of monasticism of every age, the community offers, within the limits of the spaces available today and current strengths, the possibility of being hosted by those who intend to spend a few days of prayer.