Villa Della Torre, is a Venetian villa dating back to 1558 located in the town of Fumane (Banchette locality), in Valpolicella, in the province of Verona. The villa is located north of the village of Fumane, just outside the inhabited area, on the road that leads to the hamlet of Mazzurega.
Villa della Torre History
It can be considered one of the most interesting architectural episodes of Verona and beyond: it has a plan that recalls the Roman domus, because in the center there is a peristyle courtyard, with pillars in rustic ashlars reminiscent of Palazzo Tè di Mantova and with ornate fountains a time of water games, water that then fed the large fishponds of the garden and the nymphaeum cave below.
The construction, finished in all its parts around 1560, is due above all to the will and intuition of Giulio della Torre, an intellectual of great culture, humanist capable of important social, political and religious relations. the architect of the project is not certain: some attribute it to Michele Sanmicheli, others to Giulio Romano, others to Bartolomeo Ridolfi.
It was purchased in 2008 by the Allegrini family and hosts one of the most prestigious wineries in Italy and in the world, excellence in the production of Amarone, so much so that it was, for 5 consecutive years, in the Top 100 ranking of Wine Spectator.