Plankenstein Castle is located in the town of the same name, Plankenstein, about 4 kilometers south-west of Texing in Lower Austria. The Höhenburg was first mentioned in a document in 1186 and was built by the Plankensteiner, fiefdoms of the Counts of Peilstein. The family name derives from the word blanc (= white) and roughly means from the white stone.
Burg Plankenstein History
The Plankensteiner became significant in the fifteenth century. Pankraz von Plankenstein possessed, among other things, Peilstein, Freienstein and Sassendorf, was Weitra's pawn and Pöchlarn's groom. It was restored in 1453, but did not live there. In the dispute between the emperors Frederick III. and the duke Albrecht VI. Pankraz von Plankenstein was at the Emperor's side, which brought him further increases in power after the peace agreement.
After many years of ownership, the Tinti family acquired the castle in 1713. Bartholomew of Tinti, who had acquired Schallaburg in 1763, died in Plankenstein in 1799 at the age of 96.
Since his family already lived in Schallaburg, Plankenstein was abandoned and began to decline. A chronicle of 1800 reports: Plankenstein, still a well preserved castle at the beginning of the century, was gradually robbed of its furnishings, and finally even of its windows and doors. In the splendid rooms the wind and the weather played their game, the walls burst, the roofs sank and in a few decades the castle was ruined. Plankenstein could no longer be straightened, as the most necessary restoration would have resulted in disproportionately high costs. But at least so much was done that the church and the school, the pastor's and the teacher's apartment found space in the ruins of the castle.
In 1939 the Tinti family sold their heavily indebted properties, including Plankenstein and Schallaburg, to the noble Nagel-Doornick family of Westphalia, which still today has palaces and castles in Germany, including the Vornholz castle. Their possessions were expropriated as German property by the Russian occupying powers after the Second World War. While Schallaburg, as a former USIA company, fell in the Republic of Austria with the state treaty in 1955 due to unstable property, which sold to the state of Lower Austria, the castle of Plankenstein was returned to the Nagel family.
After the castle fell into ruins and partially collapsed, in 1975 the Nagel family decided to sell it to the architect Hans-Peter Trimbacher. With an integrated team, Trimbacher managed to close and cover the main roof until October, thus protecting the fragile limestone walls from further collapses in good time before the start of winter.
In 2010, the Viennese entrepreneur Erich Podstatny bought the castle of Plankenstein to realize his childhood dream. The rooms have been equipped with the most modern toilets and antique pieces of his private collection. Today you can spend the night in individually designed guest rooms and feel like a knight in the idyllic castle courtyard, in the arcade courtyard, in the former castle chapel or in one of the other event rooms.