Schloss Ernegg is the beautiful 12th century castle belonging to the Auersperg family.
Located in the heart of Austria and available for rental exclusively for weddings and special celebrations, or simply as a peaceful retreat, it is the perfect place to escape and relax, as well as the ideal place to entertain corporate clients and personal friends. There is an internal event team that will work closely with guests, providing advice and support for all needs and will help organize the perfect event.
Schloss Ernegg History
Schloss Ernegg can accommodate 50 people, with another 30 beds for larger parties. Accommodation is divided into three floors and in suites and double rooms, most of which have private bathrooms. All rooms are large, individually designed and decorated with antiques, portraits and family heirlooms dating back to past centuries.
There is an immense charm of a family castle. The elegant public rooms are like those of a private home, large, luxuriously comfortable and a perfect place to rest with a delicious glass of wine or dance the night away.
Located in the beautiful region of Mostviertel, the landscape even by Austrian standards is spectacular, and there is a wealth of culture, wines, castles, abbeys and medieval villages to explore.
For golf lovers, Schloss Ernegg has 2 golf courses, a challenging 9-hole course behind the castle with incredible views and an 18-hole championship course in the Erlauf valley, directly below the castle.
The castle is over 1000 years old and was documented for the first time in 979 when Otto II. ceded the land between the two rivers Erlauf to the bishop Wolfgang von Regensburg. It was later given by successive bishops as a feudal mandate to various noble men, one of whom was Albrecht von Hals. In 1524 Wolfgang von Oed, cupholder of Ferdinand I bought the castle - its crest is located above the entrance to the tower. He was responsible for many changes and additions, for example in the inner courtyard the original frescoes can be seen above the arched porticoes. There is also the late Gothic spiral staircase with a decorated stone lunette dating from the early Renaissance above the front door. The inscription IVE 1561 on one of the stone columns recalls Wofgang's niece Judith von Edth: Oedt.
The Auerspergs came for the first time to live in Ernegg in 1656. The coat of arms above the portal confirms this date. Sigmund Erasmus Baron from Auersperg bought it from the Neudegg brothers and has been in the family since then.
Originally the castle was built with 4 towers and a moat. The architecture of today derives mainly from the 16th century and shows a trapezoidal shape, a large courtyard with arcades, a central tower and a spire of the bell tower. Outside the spire it is still possible to see the fake square stone of the 17th centenary. A fire in 1836 destroyed the roofs but did not damage the stone walls. The castle was later restored by Josef Auersperg.
The chapel of St. Bartholomew was created in 1330, which was carefully restored and rebuilt again in 2002, allowing private weddings to take place again in the castle grounds.
The castle has spanned many generations of Auerspergs. Georgina Auersperg Newall currently manages the castle and the estate, constantly restores it and manages to maintain the original charm of this beautiful and historic building.
Schloss Ernegg can accommodate 50 people with 35 extra beds for larger parties. There are also additional accommodations in the Meierhof, Gartnerhaus and Laffelberghaus, all located just a few minutes walk from the Castle.
The castle rooms are divided into double and single rooms as well as larger suites. Each room is beautifully furnished with antiques, family heirlooms, original paintings and armor from centuries past.
The elegant public halls, the large hall and the red salon are as they were when this was a private house; large and luxuriously comfortable. There is also a bar, dining room, garden terraces and cellars around the courtyard