At the village of Loneriacco, in the municipality of Tarcento in the province of Udine, lies the medieval village of Villafredda, one of the last examples of rural village surrounded by walls and equipped with some towers, including a well-evident red, which acts as a door .
Castello di Villafredda History
Towards the end of 1300 we find in Villafredda the Mantuan family of the Liruti family, who in 1647 was invested by Venice with a noble title. The small ancient village of Villafredda consists of a walled enclosure including characteristic buildings and the small church titled to the SS. Trinity built in 1671. It is among the few medieval Friulian villages to have preserved its original structure made of walls and towers.
The visitor who arrives at Villa Liruti-Biasutti is welcomed by the suggestive access tower (the "Torresella") with its characteristic red color and an imposing arch with 26 arches.
After passing the tower and entering the magnificent park that surrounds it, the Puicher Biasutti family house looks like a complex divided into six buildings. Five of these, by contiguity, give rise to a horseshoe structure that encloses a large and characteristic court.
Probably the original name of Villafredda was "Borgo Vecchio", from the German of the time "burgfried". Only around the fifteenth century "Burgfried" was first transformed into "Villafrigida" and then into "Villafredda".
In the turreted village it is worth visiting the residences of noble families, among which in particular the one of the historian Gian Giuseppe Liruti, who lived between 1689 and 1780 where various frescoes are preserved, located inside the walled perimeter.
In the village of Villafredda there is also a famous tavern, founded in the thirties as a branch. The premises are those of a farmhouse dating back to the seventeenth century. Even today, with a management linked to the Friulian tradition, led by the Braidot family, the tavern offers suggestive corners created by exposed beams and the typical hearth.