The Patriarchal palace of Udine is one of the most famous historical buildings in the city, since 1995 the seat of the Diocesan Museum and Gallerie del Tiepolo. The central body of the building was built during the 16th century at the behest of the patriarchs of Aquileia, and during the 18th century the patriarch Dionisio Delfino commissioned the architect Domenico Rossi to construct the wing with the library and the ovate staircase, also raising the central body creating the portal.
Palazzo Patriarcale di Udine History
The "Diocesan Museum and Gallerie del Tiepolo" has been housed in the Patriarchal Palace of Udine since 29 April 1995. The eighteenth-century building was the residence of the Patriarchs of Aquileia from 1593 to 1751 and today the archbishop.
The collection includes about 700 works, including the eighteenth-century frescoes by Giambattista Tiepolo, who decorated the ceiling of the Grand Staircase, the Guest Gallery and the Red Room at the behest of the then patriarch Dionisio Dolfin. Also on the main floor you can admire the evocative grotesques of Giovanni da Udine in the blue room and the stuccos of the yellow room
The building also houses the Delfiniana or archiepiscopal library, which was the first library open to the public in the city of Udine, established in 1709 by the patriarch Dionisio Delfino, and officially inaugurated in the summer of 1711. Today the collection consists of about 11,000 volumes, including 514 manuscripts and 115 incunabula