On the top of the hill of Susans, in the middle of a picturesque landscape, dominate the four mighty towers of the castle of Susans.
Castello di Susans History
To have the first written testimonies of Susans it is necessary to reach 1036 when the Patriarch Poppone donated to the nuns of Santa Maria di Aquileia a land located in Villa de Suzen (or Susan, Suzan, depending on the variants).
Of the castle, given for already existing or working, it will be discussed explicitly at the threshold of the fourteenth century, in relation to the interests of the feudal family of Pers (previously named Varmo), which had established the residence of one of its branches. The presence of the lords of Varmo in Susans is closely linked to the dominion exercised by the noble family on San Daniele and its territory, upon the investiture of the Patriarchs of Aquileia.
The castle soon found itself protagonist of the feudal wars that bloodied Friuli and in April 1350 it was taken and destroyed. However, new war events and armed events decreed the end of the medieval fortifications.
In 1511, during the peasant uprising, Susans was set on fire. The destruction, however, was not total and extensive damage did not even cause the subsequent earthquake of March 26, so much so that two years later (in 1513) the old manor resisted, under the command of Camillo di Colloredo, the siege and assaults of the imperial troops of Maximilian of Hapsburg. However, the long struggles endured and the different historical traversie that had him as protagonist, in the end, made it uninhabitable by the nobles of Colloredo, who preferred his residence, for which the jurisdiction was no longer exercised in the fortified residence of Colle of Susans but in that of Colloredo.
The new building that will be built in the seventeenth century will distinctly differentiate from the war role played until 1500, becoming a predominantly summer residence. In fact, the project was elaborated in Florence, presumably by Fabrizio II of Colloredo, ambassador and advisor to Ferdinando, son of Cosimo II. The young Colloredo also follow the advice of his maternal uncles Sergio and Antonio Pola, nobles of Treviso, experts in the construction and holding of urban buildings and country villas. In the early months of 1640 the work was finished. The constructive scheme of the castle of Susans repeats some models of the military architecture of the late Middle Ages, but above all of the renaissance civil architecture.
The earthquake of 1976 caused considerable damage to the complex, which however was saved from irreparable collapses only thanks to its shape and the thickness of the walls. The regular plan, reinforced at the corners of the four towers, proved to be a particularly effective seismic figure. Restored and restored to its former glory, today it houses large spaces and has rooms of various sizes, furnished with furniture, paintings and antique prints, such as to make it suitable for meetings of particular prestige, such as weddings, banquets, conferences and congresses .