The history of the Castle is confused with that of the Lords of Spilimbergo, a family of nobles of German origin, faithful to the Empire, among the most respected in the Region and among those present in the Parliament of Friuli, "ministeriales" of the Patriarchate of Aquileia. Its original name was Spengenberg, which means "Castello del falcone", hence the name of the city Spilimbergo.
Probably built in the eleventh century, on a natural terrace overlooking, with a wide view, the river bed Tagliamento and its ancient step by boat, the castle was repeatedly redone and expanded; of the original defensive structures constituting a double drawbridge, in imposing boundary walls and in several towers, only a few traces remain.
In the Middle Ages it represented the center of one of the largest fiefdoms in Friuli; the mighty fortification was burned down during a popular revolt in the Carnival of 1511 and was damaged by an earthquake a few weeks later.
The buildings were rebuilt almost entirely during the sixteenth century, with functions of residence of the castle families. The Castle is today a cluster of stately homes and is surrounded by a deep moat, while the rest is perched on a slope of the Tagliamento.
In 1993, the La Torre Restaurant opened its doors in the old building, then moved to the ground floor of the Palazzo Dipinto del Castello: two cozy rooms with a sober and elegant furniture create a suggestive atmosphere, where all the details are taken care of, from the preparation of the table at the presentation of dishes. The choice of a la carte wines is wide and the cuisine, very refined, does not renounce to regional echoes.