In a fascinating historical-naturalistic context, the Circolo Golf Venezia offers a "18 holes" dream, destination of many fans, happy to measure between the eighteenth century bastions, poplars, mulberry trees and pines. Inaugurated in 1930, the field owes its creation to Count Giuseppe Volpi who, listening to the desire of the motor magnate Henry Ford, golfer and habitual frequenter of the Lido, built the first nine holes around a former Austrian fortification still present today. At the end of the war, the first nine holes were added as many, and with the passing of the years and the growing success of the club, were added the Club House and restaurant, appreciated for its regional cuisine. The Club House is located in the former military housing of the Austrian army, in cozy and charming, where it is a pleasure to spend the day enjoying moments of pure relaxation and fun.
Circolo Golf Venezia History
A few steps away from the crowd that is crowded in Piazza San Marco extends close to the Golf of Venice an oasis protected by the WWF, green lung that contains endangered flora and fauna. It presents itself as a succession of dunes that, from the shoreline in front of the beach, gradually rise towards the inside, in embryonic dunes, mobile dunes and stabilized dunes (those less subject to wind erosion) up to the innermost woodland, characterized by a pine forest created by a post-war reforestation. Legend has it that it was a small accident linked to a visit by the American Henry Ford, president of the homonymous car manufacturer, to give rise to the idea of building a golf course at the Lido of Venice. He landed in 1928 at the Hotel Excelsior with bag and sticks in tow, asked his friend Conte Giuseppe Volpi of Misurata to be able to go and try the nearest links.
His host, reluctantly, had to answer that there were no golf courses in Venice, except to promise to no longer have to expose himself to such a fool in his life, even if this sport was then in Italy still almost unknown. Conte Volpi di Misurata, at the time a shareholder and president of the Compagnia Italiana Grandi Alberghi (CIGA) immediately set out to find a suitable area where he could design a field that was up to the elegant structures already existing on the island. The area identified was a 100-hectare area to the Alberoni, the southern end of the Lido adjacent to the port mouth of Malamocco, whose natural features presented themselves at the height of the best British traditions, windy and characterized by a sandy bottom. Around an ancient Austrian fortification erected for the defense of Venice, military lodgings and horse stables, which constitute the backbone of the current Club House, in 1928 the works were started under the direction of the Scottish architect Cruikshank of Maxwell M. Hart of Glasgow; he designed the first 9 holes, finally equipping Venice with an intriguing PAR 35 field.
On the Lido's greens, authoritative figures were tried by Hitler and Mussolini to the Duke of Windsor and Henry Cotton. Already in the post-war period, the need was felt to widen the field and to the design of architect C.K. Cotton was added to the other 9 holes, reaching a demanding PAR 72, practicable since 1951. Over the years the Circolo Golf Venezia has hosted countless races of the highest level: from the Italian Open in the editions of 1955, 1960 and 1974, all 'Usa-Europa meeting of 1978, at the Vagliano Trophy of 1989 and 2001, up to the four editions of the Italian Seniors Open of 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, as well as countless Italian championships CIRCOLO GOLF VENEZIA individual, foursome, and teams. Absolutely to mention the most prestigious competition of the Venetian agonistic season, the highly coveted "Leone di San Marco", contested every year by the best amateurs on a national level since 1953.
Around an ancient Austrian fortification built for the defense of Venice, and still existing, military lodgings and horse stables are the backbone of the current clubhouse. After passing the bridge to the fort you can see the central building former shelter of the garrison and now used to accommodate the main services of the Club. In a suggestive historical setting, the club house, characterized by a large veranda close to the putting green, houses a secretary's office, changing rooms and bag storage.
The dominant motif has always been the strong spirit of hospitality, hospitality and sportiness. Inside the club house, a comfortable restaurant is available to members and guests with a genuine cuisine characteristic of the Venetian lagoon.
The core of the Oasis did not exist until 1800, so much so that the sea came to lick the ancient Forte degli Alberoni. The beach was formed after the construction of the dam of the Port of Malamocco in 1872, due to the action of winds and sea currents. The Oasis includes a vast pine wood pine and maritime pine, where there is a reconversion in the forest of broadleaves of ornith and holm oak. In the area towards the Golf around the nineteenth century Battery Rocchetta (near the current lighthouse) surrounded by a moat, white poplar groves extend.