The castle of Guntersdorf is located in Guntersdorf between the district capital Hollabrunn and the historic wine town of Retz, located on the old Pragerstraße, 55 km north-west of Vienna, surrounded by magnificent vineyards and a pristine landscape.
The castle of Guntersdorf is a prestigious Renaissance castle. However, there are historical details from different eras: from the late Gothic gate room to the baroque stone bridge. Tuscan columns and Venetian chimneys show the cultural influences that guided the construction of the castle.
Schloss Guntersdorf History
In the second half of the sixteenth century, a late-medieval building complex was expanded into a large moated building.
According to the purchase contract dated 10 December 1717, Karl Anton Graf Serenyi sold the Guntersdorf rule of 236,000 florins to Johann Rudolf Freiherr von Ludwigsdorf. Since then, the castle has been owned by the Ludwigstorff family. It was heavily damaged and looted during the Second World War. The castle has about 280 hectares of arable land and twenty hectares of forest. The landowner was Carl Hugo Ludwigstorff, his nephew Dominik Ludwigstorff took over the management of the castle and the real estate administration in 1990.
The castle and the area can be rented today for events. It is a historic building.