Schloss Thürnthal is a classicist Baroque building in the Lower Austrian village of Fels am Wagram. Its architecture is a mixture of baroque forms and classic-antique stylistic elements, which recall the classicism spread fifty years later.
Schloss Thürnthal History
The four-story building is surrounded by a dry moat. Through the three-aisle entrance hall one enters the courtyard, whose corners are semi-prefabricated. Opposite is the castle chapel with marble furniture and a copy of the image of the Annunciation by Maria by Franz Anton Maulbertsch (1724-1796). The original is located in the Austrian Gallery of the Baroque Museum in the Belvedere Palace in Vienna.
Above the former majestic apartment in the mezzanine are the splendid rooms of the Bel Etage, whose rich stucco comes from Santino Bussi. The ballroom is conserved like an original baroque yard, the projections of the walls give a glimpse of the lust of the marble accessories provided.
The top floor was reserved for guests. In the basement there are still remains of the castle with a burnt moat from the Renaissance period. The castle has many columns, stairs and different decorative elements, made of sandstone of the highest quality by Kaisersteinbruch. Facing the main front of the castle, facing east, which leads to a quadruple alley of linden trees, there is a large stone basin, previously with a fountain.
The large gardens are only available in the remains. The large southern part of the park, the "playground" in English style, was partly used as a fence, to the west there were large orchards and vegetable gardens. Towards the annexed Wagram frame the plant.