Halbturn Castle is a baroque complex in Halbturn built in the 18th century as a hunting lodge for the emperor Charles VI.
Schloss Halbturn History
The castle was built from 1701 to 1711 by Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt as a hunting lodge for the emperor Charles VI. Under his daughter Maria Teresa was rebuilt by the Hofbaumeister Franz Anton Hillebrandt becoming the summer residence of Albert of Saxe-Teschen and his wife Maria Cristina as governors of Hungary. The frescoes by Franz Anton Maulbertsch are also from this period.
The castle has been owned since 1955 by Baron Paul Waldbott-Bassenheim (a descendant of the Habsburgs). The castle halls are also known as a venue for exhibitions and for the Halbturner Schlosskonzerte. The company, including viticulture and the cellar, is managed by the owner's grandson, Count Markus von Königsegg-Aulendorf, and his wife Philippa, born Waldburg-Zeil-Hohenems.